This course is run by the Network for Learning at Bath Spa University. For more information and to book, please see their website.
From first teaching in September 2016, History GCSE will be 100% externally examined. The move from modular to linear exams has already happened. This means there is an increased need to make lessons memorable and their content “sticky”!.
Essential preparation tips, principles and strategies for history teachers.
This course will provide principles and time-saving take-away practical strategies to enhance thinking, motivation and lasting learning. It will help build good history habits and autonomy which will reassure and guide you and your learners to success in these assessments.
Session 1 - Sticky Schemas
- All change: considering the key questions
- Captivating your class: starting points
- Home links: parent and carer participation
- Helicopter History: the importance of aerial reconnaissance
Session 2 - Learning which will stand the test of time
- From pre-dictable to post-dictable
- The challenge: onus on outcomes
- Your “new” DEPT - Depth, Environment, Period and Thematic studies
- “Through The Keyhole”: Surprising Sources
Session 3 - Self-regulation: Clockwork Classrooms
- Helpful History Habits
- Subject expertise beyond the textbook
- Fitted feedback
- Techniques to improve attention to SPG
This CPD course is for all history teachers: subject teachers, NQTs - specialists and non-specialists, heads of departments and faculty leaders.